Thursday, November 21, 2002

Another story:

The Royal Oak on Columbia Road was like a small town pub. It had a crowd of regulars who knew everything about each other, thriving on little bits of gossip. Although the atmosphere was very friendly, it was also highly competitive. It was a great place to be 'fresh meat'.

I don't think I payed for a single drink that first night. I was the belle of the ball, flirting and being flirted with. I swear I am not making this up: a fight broke out over me. Over me! How fantastic.

Stuart had smiled at me a couple of times, then he sidled over and asked:

"What's the most outrageous and impulsive thing you've ever done?"
"Er, I don't know. Why?"
"Well, I'm going to Wales for the weekend tomorrow. Do you want to come?"
"Yes, OK."
"Alright. Give me your address. I'll pick you up in the morning. Bye."

And so I went to Wales with Stuart. And moved in with him two weeks later.

No comments: