Tuesday, March 12, 2002

Nearly a year ago, I started to list and review my ten favourite albums of the nineties. In true fashion, I never quite got around to finishing it. Starting on Monday next week, I will complete the list.

Win a CD! Guess what those three remaining albums could be; the person who is closest will win the album of his/her choice from my top ten. [or, um, something else if it's unavailable]

To help you gauge my tastes, I've listed numbers four to ten below. And here are some albums which nearly made the top ten. One of these acts does feature in the top ten, though not with this album:

Pet Shop Boys: Behaviour (1990), Primal Scream: Screamadelica (1991), Pet Shop Boys: Very (1993), Blur: Parklife (1993), Radiohead: The Bends (1995), Pulp: Different Class (1995), Blur: The Great Escape (1995), Garbage: Garbage (1995), Mogwai: Young Team (1997), Cornershop: When I Was Born For The 7th Time (1997), Future Bible Heroes: Memories Of Love (1998), Faithless: Sunday 8pm (1998), Moby: Play (1999), XTC: Apple Venus Vol 1 (1999), Magnetic Fields: 69 Love Songs (1999).

Yes, I know it's a very 'male' list; a very 'white' list; a very 'bands' list; a very 'look how groovy my record collection is' list. And that trend will continue with the top three. I'm ashamed to say there's no R&B or rap on my list. Sadly, there's no-one black at all. Well, Cornershop are partly Asian, and, um, Faithless have a black member, and, ah, Betty Boo is something exotic, isn't she?

I've deliberately avoided the decade's more celebrated milestone albums. Much as I admire Massive Attack and Tricky and OK Computer, they're too obvious.

One final clue: all three albums can be found on this page.

No comments: