Monday, September 10, 2001

A packed - and lovely - weekend! First, the 'packed' bit:

Friday night was Fiction night. This is quickly becoming my favourite club. Five arches swathed in silk, three dance floors, two gardens, chilled, happy atmosphere. A rare occasion of 'no attitude mixed gay/straight' being just that.

On Saturday afternoon I was interviewed by University of Surrey researcher Adam Reed about my thoughts on blogging. My thoughts seemed to consist largely of "um... well... er... I... ah...". I don't know if the meeting will have been any use to him, but it was useful to me - hearing his perceptions of my blog and the opinion he had formed of me through the blog. Although he didn't quite say "you're much more interesting on screen than you are in person," that was how I felt - blame the previous night's excesses if you wish.

We were going to stay in on Saturday night, but Marcus' flatmate Janne persuaded us, begged us, to go to the Skinners Arms in scenic Oval/Camberwell Borders. My advice to you: if your flatmate ever tries to persuade you to do the same, shoot him. Tired, ugly, annoying - and that was just the 'entertainment' Dave Lynn.

Speaking of strange drag queens, the DE Experience was really sick yesterday. No, I mean really, she was sick. Backstage. Retching noises over the PA, then she reappeared and revealed that the microdot she'd taken last night had just kicked in. There followed five minutes of her trying to do her usual act, but failing to pull herself together. Still, the crowd were incredibly supportive, and she was in fine - if overwrought - voice.

A lovely weekend too. I spent all of it south of the river, at Marcus' place. We're becoming dreadfully domestic: cooking for each other, reading the Sunday papers in bed [the Observer for me, News Of The World for him - though I'll confess to taking a sneak peek at the latest Robbie Williams revelations], playing SimCity, setting up a blog for him [be afraid!]. Lovely!

No comments: