Monday, August 13, 2001

Random scenes from Brighton Pride:
  • Mobile phone conversation with Ian at London Bridge: "OK, I'm runnning up the approach to the platform now, the train's about to leave, OK, I'm on the platform, oh shit, I've dropped my sunglasses on the track!"
  • A man opposite me on the train wearing very, very short shorts, and preparing for Pride by writing his name and number on many little bits of paper.
  • The parade, with dance floats and camp cowboys dressed in rainbow-coloured sequined suits and stetsons.
  • The sign in the window of a computer store en route: "Get 10% off customs PCs if you are gay!"
  • My new red Merrell trainers: "Are you in training for Edmonton?" "It's true what they say about people with big feet - they need big shoes."
  • "Your what? Boyfriend? You?"
  • The fairground ride with its extreme centrifugal and g-forces. Andy: "The bloodvessels in my head are going to burst!" Guy: "I'm gonna be sick, I'm gonna be sick, I'm gonna be sick!"
  • "How often do you come down to Brighton? You know everybody!" That's because everyone there was a Londoner. It was RVT-on-Sea.
  • Huge queues outside the portaloos meaning everyone had to go pee in the wooded hillside.
  • Andy: "Shit! I've just peed on a lesbian!"
  • Venturing further up the wooded hillside, away from the music, the noise, and the crowds; and surreally emerging onto a cricket pitch, mid-match - genteel West Sussex senior citizens in white flannels blissfully unaware of the hedonistic madness below.
  • Watching a very drunk friend fall over, stand up, and fall over again. And loving it.
  • The mass exodus back to town, aka the last chance saloon stagger. "You're nice. What's your name? Do you live in Brighton?"
  • "Sorry, your friend is too drunk - the bouncers won't let him in."
  • Fireworks over the sea.
  • The long train ride back to London enlivened by wonderfully drunk and drug-addled people. What a day!
  • No comments: