Monday, July 02, 2001

I dreamed a movie last night. It was a Danny Boyle-style movie, set in London, with me as one of the stars. A Pulp track played over the closing credits - a brand new Pulp song. The song was a bit like She's A Lady, complete with Jarvis' trademark "chick-a-chick-a"s, but with whole new lyrics and music, written - presumably - by me. It's not the first time I've dreamt a whole new song - I once dreamed of Marc Almond performing a powerful song which ended with him retreating from the microphone into darkness, whispering: "my red paper bag, my red paper bag, my red..."

When I was a kid, I had a serial dream in the form of a TV programme called "The Adventures Of David In The Underworld". Every night, just after I'd dropped off, the opening titles would come up. My front door would open, and I'd start walking up our lane. Suddenly, a hole would open up in the road and I would fall into a dark netherworld where I would do battle with witches and monsters. This went on every night, and it always ended with closing credits: "Starring me, Produced by me", etc. Obviously, it was a product of watching too much TV. We only had a black-and-white telly in those days, and I wish I could remember now if the dream was monochrome or colour.

No comments: