Thursday, June 07, 2001

Major restructuring here at work. It's all top secret, so I'm not allowed to tell you anything about it. However, even if I were allowed to, I'm not sure I'd be able to. We were all called into a high-level meeting with the MD, who showed us about fifty overhead slides, each one less understandable than the one before. Slide after slide of graphs, diagrams, organisational charts, but all completely generalised. No specifics. The penultimate slide was a complex tangle of arrows and boxes with generic labels, signifying nothing. The next slide contained simply one word: "Questions".

My unasked question was "what the hell did all that mean?" What I actually asked was "How will this affect our day-to-day working relationships? Will our teams be broken up?" The MD's answer: "We don't know yet. The specifics still have to be worked out." A few others had questions, which were answered in much the same way.

So I think I still have a job. I'll let you know when I find out.

No comments: