Wednesday, June 20, 2001

As Jonathan says, I have a bewilderingly encyclopedic knowledge of a musical form I have no interest in: easy listening. I would like to state that I have never owned any records by Andy Williams, Dean Martin or Anthony Newley, yet I always manage to recognise them at the pop quiz. I honestly don't understand it. It's not due to parental indoctrination: my dad's record collection - as I have said before - leans more towards camp disco divas.

Here's an example of my mystifying talent: this afternoon, I have that song Magic Moments going round [and round and round] my head. You know the one - "Maaa-Jick! Mooo-Ments!". That's the only bit I know, apart from the jaunty [read 'annoying'] whistling bit, but I somehow, puzzlingly, know that it's by Perry Como.

I've just done a quick web search to confirm that, and sure enough, it's the late Mr Como himself. No wonder I don't know the rest of the song - it's Merrittricious in its wordplay:

The way that we cheered whenever our team was scoring a touchdown
The time that the floor fell out of my car when I put the clutch down
The penny arcade, the games that we played, the fun and the prizes
The Halloween hop when everyone came in funny disguises.
Maaa-Jick! Mooo-Ments!

No comments: