Thursday, March 08, 2001

Ian said something interesting [for a change!] to me on Saturday: "You like books more for the writing, the language; whereas I go more for plot".

It got me thinking. He's right: many of my favourite books are not really about anything, but they're beautifully written. I'm not a fan of "genre" books. I can't be bothered with science fiction, detective novels, fantasy - I prefer reality. One of the things I loved about "White Teeth" is that it was set in Cricklewood, on the very streets I walk every day. My favourite novelists tend to be 30-something Brits. I can relate, y'know? I suppose my ideal novel would be about a mid-30s gay man, who grew up in South Africa and moved to London in the mid-90s.

My autobiography, in other words. But better-written.

No comments: